Bananas are almost a wonder food. They provide not only good nutrition but have a variety of uses outside of nutrition. Bananas can help heal dry skin. For years the inside of the banana peel has been rubbed on skin effected by psoriasis to bring relief. There are other uses such as:
- Poison ivy
- Topical wrinkle treatment (tighten skin)
- Increase energy
- Reduce acne flare-ups
- Mosquito bites
It is an ingredient found in facial masks treatments to help brighten and tone the skin. Bananas especially the peel contains antioxidants and minerals that help restore the skin and promote softness.
Even mashing a ripe banana well and apply to the face can be therapeutic for relieving dry skin. Let it dry and then rinse with cold water. Never rub but pat dry.
An alternative mixture would be to mix a mashed banana into one egg yolk and add in one teaspoon of sour cream. Apply to the face and let sit for about 20 minutes then rinse face with warm water to remove mixture.
Ever heard of creating a homemade mask from bananas? Try this!
- 1 ripe mashed banana
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of oatmeal
- Stir in all ingredients mixture will have the consistency of a thick cream or until smooth.
- Apply to skin with brush or applicator of choice for about 20 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry
- Left over can be stored in the fridge for about 2 days
- Apply once a day for 3 days more if you like
The really nice thing about natural treatments is that most are harmless and inexpensive. In most cases the only thing you need watch out for is an allergic reaction to some fruits that may cause a skin rash if you have sensitivity.
There are many variations on the banana theme that are not mention here. Only experimentation will help you render the results that work best for you.